Mr S.B. (Sybren) Spit MA
Faculty of Humanities
Spuistraat 134 Amsterdam
Room number: 4.25
1012 VB Amsterdam
In November 2016, I started a PhD Project titled 'Meta-linguistic awarenss in early (second) language acquisition' . This project investigates the common assumpution that children learn their first language entirely implicitly and without any conscious awareness of form and grammar. Although the role of meta-linguistic awareness in adult language acquisition is extensively studied such research is virtually absent in the field of child language acquisition. In this project, I investigate whether children develop any meta-linguistic knowledge when acquiring a language. Using an Esperanto based miniature language, a first study investigates if young monolingual Dutch children show any awareness when acquiring a language. A follow-up study will investigate whether children might even benefit from this kind of awareness when acquiring a language.
Faces of Science
In 2017, I have been chosen as one of the 'Faces of Science' by the KNAW (The Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences). This project aims to inform people about what it means to be a scientist. You can stay up to date here (in Dutch).
I am also one of the organisers of the Linguistics Lounge, which is the place where PhD candidates and Research MA students from the ACLC can meet. Each third Thursday of the month at 17.00, there will be an informal lecture by one or two PhD's or rMA students from the ACLC. During and after the lectures there will be drinks. You can find more information on the website and sign up, if you want to receive regular updates about the programme.
- Spit, S. B., Aboh, E. O., Andringa, S. J., & Rispens, J. E. (2017). Opting out as a measure of meta-linguistic awareness in children.
- Spit, S. B., Lammertink, I. L., Rispens, J. E., & van Witteloostuijn, M. T. G. (2017). Procedural memory in the gifted child.
- Spit, Sybren (28-08-2017): Transferperikelen [Web]. Transferperikelen.
- Spit, Sybren (03-07-2017): Mysterieuze taalspelletjes in Game of Thrones [Web] Kennislink. Mysterieuze taalspelletjes in Game of Thrones.
- Spit, Sybren (01-06-2017): Mauwen en rappen met Ronnie [Web] Kennislink. Mauwen en rappen met Ronnie.
- No ancillary activities