Ms M.A. (Marlou) van Rijn MA
Faculty of Humanities
Spuistraat 134 Room number: 649
1012 VB Amsterdam
In August 2011, I graduated from the Research Master programme in Linguistics at the University of Amsterdam, with a thesis on the cross-linguistic locus of marking of possessive NPs investigated from a Functional Discourse Grammar perspective. Currently, I am working on my PhD project, supervised by Prof. Dr. Kees Hengeveld and Dr. Eva van Lier, which investigates the role of the semantic opposition between arguments and modifiers as a predictor of morphosyntactic marking within a range of dependency relations across the world's languages. This typological research project furthermore integrates a novel typology of person markers in terms of cross-reference and agreement, based on work by Hengeveld.
- 'The grammaticalization of substance and structure in possessive person marking'. Workshop on Substance and Structure in linguistics, Copenhagen, Denmark. 27-28 February 2015.
- 'Argument coding in Oceanic nominalizations' (with Eva van Lier). 10th Biennial Conference of the Association for Linguistic Typology (ALT10), Leipzig, Germany. 15-18 August 2013.
- 'Alienability and the rise of possessive agreement'. 46th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea, Split, Croatia. 18-21 September 2013.
- 'From cross-reference towards agreement within the possessive NP'. Workshop Agreement from a diachronic perspective, University of Marburg, Germany. 3-5 October 2012.
- ' Valency within the possessive noun phrase: a new approach to head/dependent marking'. 45th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea, Stockholm, Zweden. 29 August - 1 September 2012.
- 'From cross-reference to agreement within the possessive noun phrase: configurational grammaticalization in FDG'. International Conference of Functional Discourse Grammar (IC-FDG), Gent, Belgium. 6-8 June 2012.
- 'Phrasal alignment in Functional Discourse Grammar' (poster). 9th Biennial Conference of the Association for Linguistic Typology (ALT9), Hong Kong, China. 21-24 July 2011.
- 'Alignment beyond the clause: the morphosyntax of phrasal and clausal dependency relations'. Meeting of the Language Typology and Description research group, University of Amsterdam. 4 February 2015.
- 'The coding of dependency relations: patterns of polyfunctionality'. Work in progress meeting, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany. 18 March 2014.
- 'Marking possession: a new approach to locus and agreement'. Typologiekolloquium, University of Leipzig, Germany. 5 February 2014.
- 'From cross-reference towards agreement within the possessive NP'. NAP-dag, University of Amsterdam, 12 October 2012.
- 'Predication and modification within the possessive noun phrase: a new approach to head/dependent marking'. LOT Summer School, Utrecht, The Netherlands. 9 July 2012.
- 'Predication and modification within the noun phrase: a typological study'. LOT Winter School, Tilburg, The Netherlands. 9 January 2012.
- 'Predication and modification within the possessive noun phrase: a Functional Discourse Grammar approach to head/dependent marking'. Functional Discourse Grammar Colloquium, University of Amsterdam. 17 June 2011.
- 'Phrasal alignment in Functional Discourse Grammar'. Paper presented at the Functional Discourse Grammar Colloquium, University of Amsterdam. 22 October 2010.
- 'Existentials in Functional Discourse Grammar'. Paper presented (poster) at PosterFest, University of Amsterdam. 24 January 2010.
Slides are available upon request.
- van Rijn, M. (2016). Locus of marking typology in the possessive NP: A new approach. Folia Linguistica, 50(1), 269-327. DOI: 10.1515/flin-2016-0009 [details]
- van Rijn, M. (2016). The grammaticalization of possessive person marking: A typological approach. Transactions of the Philological Society, 114(2), 233-276. DOI: 10.1111/1467-968X.12077 [details]
- van Rijn, M. A. (2017). The expression of modifiers and arguments in the noun phrase and beyond: A typological study Utrecht: LOT [details / files]