Ms M. (Marloes) Oomen MA
Faculty of Humanities
Spuistraat 134 Room number: 648
1012 VB Amsterdam
Currently, I am a PhD student investigating argument structure in German Sign Language. I have a bachelor in Liberal Arts and Sciences from University College Utrecht (major: Linguistics and Cognitive Neuroscience). A course I took there on the sociolinguistic aspects of sign language and Deaf culture first sparked my interest in sign linguistics and sign language structure. I pursued this interest further in the research master Linguistics at the University of Amsterdam by taking elective courses on the subject and by investigating sign language structure in my research projects. I have done research projects on sentential negation, grammatical aspect, and psych-verbs in Sign Language of the Netherlands.
About the PhD project
As a PhD student in the project "Argument structure in three sign languages: typological and theoretical aspects", funded by the Dutch Science Foundation (NWO) and supervized by dr. Roland Pfau and prof. Enoch O. Aboh, I am responsible for the investigation of argument structure (AS), AS-alternations, and AS-changes in German Sign Language (Deutsche Gebärdensprache; DGS), taking into consideration AS-theories taking a generative perspective in the analysis. The other two sign languages under investigation are Russian Sign Language (dr. Vadim Kimmelman) and Sign Language of the Netherlands (Vanja de Lint); each will be compared to one another. One of the main questions the project attempts to answer is whether AS is represented in the lexicon or in syntax. For my project on DGS, corpus data from the DGS-Corpus (Institute for German Sign Language and Communication of the Deaf, Hamburg University), as well as newly elicited data (the elicitation material is to be developed as part of the project by dr. Vadim Kimmelman), will be analyzed in order to answer this question.
Sign languages, Sign Language of the Netherlands, German Sign Language, argument structure, sentential negation
- Oomen, M. (2017). Iconicity in argument structure: Psych-verbs in Sign Language of the Netherlands. Sign Language & Linguistics, 20(1), 55-108. DOI: 10.1075/sll.20.1.03oom
- Oomen, M., & Pfau, R. (2017). Signing NOT (or not): A typological perspective on standard negation in Sign Language of the Netherlands. Linguistic Typology, 21(1), 1-51. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/lingty-2017-0001
- Oomen, M. (2016). The marking of two aspectual distinctions in Sign Language of the Netherlands (NGT). Linguistics in Amsterdam, 9(2), 30-55. [details]
- Aboh, E. O., Boers-Visker, E. M., van den Bogaerde, E. M., Kimmelman, V., Klomp, U., de Lint, V., ... Pfau, R. (2017). Research group Sign Language Grammar & Typology. Poster session presented at Second Amsterdam SMART Cognitive Science Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Talk / presentation
- Pfau, R. (speaker), Oomen, Marloes (speaker) & Aboh, E.O. (speaker) (20-10-2017): High and low negation in Sign Language of the Netherlands, Western Conference on Linguistics, Boise, United States.
- Oomen, Marloes (speaker) & Pfau, R. (speaker) (24-7-2017): Signing NOT (or not): A corpus-based study on negation in Sign Language of the Netherlands., Corpus-based Approaches to Sign Language Linguistics, Birmingham, United Kingdom.
- Kimmelman, V. (speaker), Oomen, Marloes (speaker) & de Lint, V. (speaker) (24-7-2017): Overt arguments in RSL, DGS and NGT: a corpus study., Corpus-based Approaches to Sign Language Linguistics, Birmingham, United Kingdom.
- Aboh, E.O. (speaker), Oomen, Marloes (speaker) & Pfau, R. (speaker) (21-6-2017): High and low negation in Sign Language of the Netherlands., Formal and Experimental Advances in Sign Language Theory, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Pfau, Roland (invited speaker), Kimmelman, V. (invited speaker), Klomp, U. (invited speaker), de Lint, V. (invited speaker) & Oomen, M. (invited speaker) (20-4-2017): Grammar & society: How sign linguistics benefits the Deaf community, Beyond Hearing – Cultures Overlooked, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Oomen, Marloes (speaker) (1-9-2016): Psych-verb constructions in Sign Language of the Netherlands, Formal and Experimental Advances in Sign Language Theory, Venice, Italy.
- Oomen, Marloes (speaker) (26-11-2015): Psych-verbs in Sign Language of the Netherlands, 1st Meeting on the Morphosyntax of Portuguese Sign Language and other sign languages, Porto.
- Lammertink, Imme (organiser) & Oomen, M. (organiser) (11-11-2016): Thesis market MA students linguistics (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- No ancillary activities