dr. R.A. (Robert) Cloutier
Faculty of Humanities
Capaciteitsgroep Engelse taal en cultuur
Spuistraat 134 Room number: 540
1012 VB Amsterdam
I completed my doctoral work at the University of Amsterdam and successfully defended my dissertation, entitled _West Germanic OV and VO: The Status of Exceptions_, on February 20, 2009. I was an Assistant Professor of English at Tennessee Technological University and a guest researcher at the University of Amsterdam from August 2008 until July 2012. From September 1, 2012, I am returning to the University of Amsterdam where I will be an Assistant Professor of English Linguistics. My main research interests are in older Germanic languages and various word order phenomena related to them.
At the University of Amsterdam, I teach primarily for the English language and culture program and the Masters program in Linguistics.
- Historical Linguistics
- Comparative Germanic Syntax
- Proficiency: Translation, Grammar and Academic Vocabulary (1st-year course)
- Language in Society and Pragmatics (2nd-year course)
- Language Variation and Change (2nd-year course)
- Wetenschapsfilosofie Engels: Linguistics module (3rd-year course)
- Cloutier, R. A. (2013). *haitan in Gothic and Old English. Studies in Language Companion Series, 138, 17-40. DOI: 10.1075/slcs.138.02clo [details]
- Weerman, F., Olson, M., & Cloutier, R. A. (2013). Synchronic variation and loss of case: formal and informal language in a Dutch corpus of 17th-century Amsterdam texts. Diachronica, 30(3), 353-381. DOI: 10.1075/dia.30.3.03wee [details]
- Cloutier, R. A. (2016). Prepositions, Particles, Adverbs: The P System in Old Dutch. In A. Bannink, & W. Honselaar (Eds.), From variation to iconicity: festschrift for Olga Fischer on the occasion of her 65th birthday (pp. 49-70). Amsterdam: Uitgeverij Pegasus.
- Cloutier, R. A. (2006). Adpositional Phrases of Direction in the History of Dutch: The case of in. ACLC Working Papers, 1(1), 67-77. [details]
Keynote / invited lecture
- Weerman, F.P. (speaker), Olson, M.J. (speaker) & Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (26-4-2012): Synchronic Variation and Loss of Case: Formal and Informal Language in a Corpus of 17th-century Amsterdam,, GLAC, Indiana University, Bloomington.
- Weerman, F.P. (speaker), Olson, M.J. (speaker) & Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (4-2-2012): Synchronic Variation and Loss of Case: Formal and Informal Language in a Corpus of 17th-century Amsterdam, Linguistics in the Netherlands, Utrecht.
- Weerman, F.P. (speaker), Olson, M.J. (speaker) & Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (13-8-2009): Sifting through the textual evidence: Linguistic variation in 17th century Amsterdam, International Conference of Historical Linguistics, Nijmegen.
- Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (6-8-2007): Objects, Relative Clauses, English and Dutch, 18th International Conference on Historical Linguistics, Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada.
- Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (21-4-2007): Are you overweight? West Germanic Extraposition and Weight, 6th York-Newcastle-Holland Symposium on the History of English Syntax, Universiteit Leiden.
- Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (3-2-2007): Objects, Relative Clauses and Word Order, TiN-dag, Universiteit Utrecht.
- Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (21-8-2006): Discourse Factors in the History of English: Relative Clauses and Their Nouns, International Conference on English Historical Linguistics, Università degli Studi di Bergamo, Italië.
- Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (2-6-2006): Relative Clauses and Underlying Word Order: Evidence from the History of English and Dutch, TABU-dag, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen.
- Cloutier, R.A. (speaker) (28-4-2006): What Relative Clauses Can Tell Us about Underlying Word Order: Evidence from English, Netherland Society for English Studies Symposium (invited), Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen.
- Cloutier, R. A. (2009). West Germanic OV and VO : the status of exceptions Utrecht: LOT [details]
- No ancillary activities